The Official Student News Source of HSEHS

HSENews

HSENews

HSENews

Computer club teaches web design and app development

The Computer Club is comprised of two divisions, one for boys and one for girls, that meet in A401 and A402 every Monday after school. The main focus of the club is to educate members on computing and the various fields that use it.

“The club will be participating in competitions, learning activities, and promoting computing in our school and district.  The club will also be investigating ways to help students with 1:1 Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) next school year as well,” Computer Club sponsor Julie Alano said.

The Hoosier Student Digital Leaders, or HSDL, is a network for teachers to develop teams of students to help increase their knowledge of computing skills. The boys and girls computer clubs have both registered to join the network. If their registration is accepted, club members will be able to attend a spring showcase and conference, as well as gain state recognition.

“Very few girls are in the coding industry, and I think it’s important for all of us to gain knowledge about computers, especially with technology becoming more and more popular. The club is super fun and you don’t need to have any prior knowledge to join,” club member and junior Ashley Aulicino said.

Some of the club activities include making computer art, developing apps, and learning about computer and internet privacy. Mentors from Purdue University come in to give lessons and teach computing skills.

“The major thing is that you don’t need to have any prior knowledge to be a part of the club. Also, although computing seems to be dominantly male oriented, girls can be a part of it as well. It doesn’t matter what grade level you’re in; everyone is welcome,” club member and junior Samantha Spott said.

For more information, students can go to room A401 Mondays after school, or speak to Mrs. Alano during school.