The Official Student News Source of HSEHS

HSENews

HSENews

HSENews

The Importance of Staying Informed

Seal_of_the_President_of_the_United_States.svg

With the election coming up this year, it is impossible to avoid all of the media coverage surrounding it. Every news outlet is covering every candidate, every debate, and everyone’s past. But with all of this coverage, you’d think that the important information would outweigh the bias. But if you’ve been watching any of the coverage, you would know that that is very, very wrong. From Trump’s allegedly small hands to the fact that a good part of Florida believe that Cruz could possibly be the Zodiac Killer, Clinton’s attempts to win the youth vote to Sander’s rap affiliations, it is very easy to lose the actual information in all the internet click-bait. Even information reflecting candidate’s policies can quickly turn into a joke, such as Trump’s plan to pay for his proposed wall. For anyone planing on voting in Indiana’s primary, or in the presidential election in November, this cannot be the extent of your knowledge.

Voters need to know about candidate’s actual mindsets and policies in order to vote for them. Trump has vowed to create more strict libel laws, stopping any news outlet from publishing anything critical of him or anyone else. He has also instituted plain-clothes private security officers at his own rallies to crack down on any protestors, which they have, even on peaceful protests. Clinton has used private servers to store and send emails outside of the view of government regulation. “We will carpet bomb [ISIS] into oblivion. I don’t know if sand can glow in the dark, but we are going to find out,” says Cruz outlining his violently americentric foreign policy. And Sanders, despite having great ideals, does not have any domestic policy plan to back it up.

So if you plan on voting, research the actual plans of those you are voting for and every aspect of those plans, domestic and foreign. Because the only thing worse than not having the ability vote, is the knowledge that your vote sent the country down the wrong path without your knowledge.